Spring 2020 ColoMATYC Conference was a success!
This yearís meeting theme was OER (Open Educational Resources). Our keynote speaker was UNCís Oscar Levin, who has been a regional leader in OER efforts. His text ``Discrete Mathematics: An Open Introduction'' has been adopted or partially adopted by twenty six colleges and universities nationwide, and his use of the system PreTeXt has solved the accessibility issues that sometimes make OER efforts difficult. Oscar will bring his experience and expertise to us to help inform how we can effectively create, adopt, use, and share OER to benefit our students.
- Keynote Address: Getting Started with PreTeXt by Oscar Levin, Ph.D. University of Northern Colorado.
- Open Educational Resources for Mathematics: the First 2,500 Years by Jonathan A. Poritz, CSU Pueblo.
- Building a Differential Equations Course on Collaborative Overleaf Projects by Kenneth Monks, FRCC.
- Enable Unprecedented Learning for All Students by Dan Ly (Lumen Learning)
- Overleaf Session by Paul Gessler (Overleaf)
- Using Edfinity by Sid Grover (Edfinity)
- Old School and New School using OER by Mike Miller and Marki Allegar, Aims Community College
- Intro to Stats - An Active Learning Redesign by Stephanie Beck, FRCC
Thank you to our sponsors, Lumen and Overleaf.
Lumen Learning provides simple-to-adopt digital course materials designed to strengthen learning and replace expensive textbooks using open educational resources (OER). Lumenís low-cost ($25) courseware is accessible and interactive, with well-aligned assessments and supplemental resources. Term over term, Lumen content gets better and better at supporting student learning through data-driven continuous improvement. Enjoy day one access and ease-of-use through Lumenís best-in-class LMS integration (for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle). Learn more: lumenlearning.com.
Overleaf is a free, collaborative, cloud-based LaTeX editor which makes the process of writing, editing and publishing scientific documents quicker and easier. This intuitive online platform has seen rapid adoption across science and research, and Overleaf's award-winning collaboration technology is now in use by over 5 million researchers, students and technical writers in institutions, labs and industry worldwide. Itís simple and intuitive to use Ė all you need is a web browser Ė try it out and use it for free at www.overleaf.com.
ColoMATYC is a branch of the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges.